The system of caste and tribes has always played a crucial role in deciding the political fate of Sind.
Sindhi dominating areas have as many as 3 major casts i.e; Baloch, Syed, Sammat and 3 minor cast i.e; Arain, Jatt, Mughal, that decide the political fate of any candidate contesting the election in Sindhi dominating areas.
The tradition of voting for the candidate of one's own cast dates back to old times and has remained unchanged even in the recent general elections of February 18, 2008.
A total of 20 Muhajir candidates has successfully reached the National Assembly in 2008 from Muhajir dominating areas of Sind. 19 on the ticket of MQM and 1 on the ticket of PPP.
A total of 40 Sindhi candidates has successfully reached the National Assembly in 2008. 29 on the ticket of PPP, 5 on the ticket of PMLQ, 3 on the ticket of PMLF, 2 on the ticket of NPP and 1 as an independent candidate.
40 Sindhi MNAs belong to different castes;
16 of Baloch,
11 of Sammat,
10 of Syed,
1 of Arain.
1 of Jatt,
1 of Mughal,
16 of Baloch= 13 Baloch MNAs won the election on the ticket of PPP, 2 won the election on the ticket of NPP, 1 won the election on the ticket of PMLQ.
11 of Sammat= 5 Sammat MNAs won the election on the ticket of PPP. 3 won the election on the ticket of PMLQ, 2 won the election on the ticket of PMLF, 1 won election as an independent candidate.
10 of Syed= 8 Syed MNAs won the election on the ticket of PPP, 1 won on the ticket of PMLQ and 1 won on the ticket of PMLF.
1 Arain MNA won the election on the ticket of PPP.
1 Jatt MNA won the election on the ticket of PPP.
1 Mughal MNA won the election on the ticket of PPP.
13 Baloch MNAs of PPP.
1. Azra Afzal Pecheho Zardari (Nawabshah),
2.Mir Munawar Ali Talpur (Mirpurkhas)
3. Nawab Yousaf Talpur (Umerkot),
4. Nawab Ghani Talpur (Jamshoro),
5. Nazir Ahmad (Larkana),
6. Mir Amir Ali (Kamber Shahdadkot),
7. Eijaz Jakhrani (Jacobabad),
8. Mir Hazar Khan Bijarani (Jacobabad),
9. Shamshad Sattar (Tando Allahyar),
10. Rafique Ahmad Jamali (Dadu),
11. Nabeel Ahmad Gabol (Karachi),
12. Ghulam Ali Nizamani (Badin),
13. Sher Muhammad Baloch (Karachi)
2 Baloch MNAs of NPP.
1. Muhammad Ibrahim Jatoi (Shikarpur).
2. Murtaza Jatoi (Naushero).
1 Baloch MNA of PMLQ.
Nasrullah Bijrani (Kashmore).
5 Sammat MNAs of PPP.
1. Mian Mitho (Ghotki),
2. Talat Iqbal (Dadu),
3. Sarfraz Rajpar (Sanghar)
4. Roshan Din (Sanghar),
5. Abdul Qadir (Karachi).
3 Sammat MNAs of PMLQ.
1. Ghous Bakhsh Maher (Shikarpur)
2. Arbab Zakaullah (Tharparker)
3. Dr. Ghulam Haider (Tharparker)
2 Sammat MNAs of PMLF.
1. Nawab Ali Waseem (Khairpur)
2. Jaadum Mangrio (Sanghar).
1 Sammat MNA as Independent.
Ali Muhammad Khan Mehar (Ghotki).
8 Syed MNAs of PPP.
1. Syed Khursheed Shah (Sukkur),
2. Zafar Ali Shah (Naushero Feroze),
3. Syed Mustafa (Nawabshah),
4. Syed Fazal Ali Shah (Khairpur),
5. Mukhdoom Amin Faheem (Matiari),
6. Syed Ameer Shah (Hyderabad),
7. Naveed Qamar (Tando Muhammad),
8. Pir Aftab Shah (Mirpur Khas).
1 Syed MNA of PMLQ.
Syed Ayaz Ali (Thatta)
1 Syed MNA of PMLF
Pir Syed Sadruddin Shah (Khairpur)
1 Arain MNA of PPP.
Shahid Hussain Bhutto (Larkana)
1 Jatt MNA of PPP.
Dr. Abdul Wahid (Thatta)
1 Mughal MNA of PPP.
Dr. Fahmida Mirza (Badin).